Sunday, October 14, 2007

Refreshing

This month is called our STORM month. We try to get as many churches as we can to hold STORMS (sending teens out to reach the masses) for their youth groups...the kids show up at church and all get into cars and go out to get as many of thier friends and thier friends friends as they can...they make the night really fun and somewhere in the midst of it all they all sit down and someone shares the gospel...

Well, last night I got to go with Chris to one of these STORMS. The kids left to get thier friends and anyone left got together and prayed for the night...the night was a lot of fun...very LOUD...video games everywhere (seriously), tons of giveaways, pizza, icecream...but my favorite part was when we all came together to hear the gospel. It's always great, but last night the kids were just laser focused...I don't think many of them come to church a lot. I mean, there were all kinds of students there. I looked around the room while Chris was speaking and I was amazed at how they were totally engaged...so when he gave the invitation so many kids stood up...I was just bursting, ready to sit down with some girls and share with them more about their new relationship with Jesus Christ.

I always wonder how sincere a student is...well, last night I was able to talk with 3 girls...they had all been to church before. One of them came to that church frequently...but one girl, her name is Devyn goes to an Episcipal church. She said she had prayed a prayer before, but "not like that one". She said she knew she needed to change...she had "tried" so many times before and nothing ever stuck....I won't go into all of the conversation...but I could just tell this girl was so sincere. She had come face to face with her sin and with her imortality and wanted to do something about it. I told her about how much God loves her and we read in Romans about how nothing could separate her from His love for her....that she didn't have to keep praying that prayer...even if she walked out and made a total mess of her life, He would not forsake her....the refreshing part, was that she wanted to know how to really change. I shared with her that Jesus does the changing...I shared with her that the biggest thing to change my life has been my time with Jesus everyday reading His word....she wanted to know more about that...she asked specific questions about reading the Bible...it was awesome. Jesus changed a life last night. I gave her my phone number and practically begged her to call me.

God is so good. Last night I was thinking of that OLD song "I Love to Tell the Story"...to tell the old old story of Jesus and His love. What a privelege. Oh Lord, please open the hearts of people to Your great love for them. Please help them see thier incredible need for Your grace and Your mercy in thier lives. Help me to remember how desparate I am for YOU as well.

4 comments:

Leah said...

That is so awesome! That had to be a great experience! What a blessing. I love you see you soon.

Unknown said...

Leah...if you see this...congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!
Laurie...if we don't talk by Tuesday, I can call you on my cell on the forever drive to the mountains. I am REALLY looking forward to talking. Life is too busy right now!

Leah said...

Dikola... thank you.
Laurie I can't wait to see you. We will go to the Pumpkin Patch it will be so much fun pumpkin cake yum!

Darlene said...

Hey did we do the STORM thing and we took my dad's van...or was it just a dream I had?!